Translate

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Stylish Blogger Award


My friend and fellow blogger Karinann at Daughter of the King has awarded me the Stylish Blogger Award. Thank you, Karinann!

The rules for accepting this award are to tell you seven things about myself and then pass the award on to five other bloggers.


1. I like to play sports and still dream about playing college basketball (literally, sometimes I sleep and dream I am in a game playing college basketball) even though I am 43 and 10 months old.  I'll probably go to law school someday and tryout for the team as my eligibility will still be in tact.  I'm not sure if my knees, elbows, and shoulders will be intact, but I should have more time if I wait until all my kids go off to college.  I never learned to use a sewing machine, or knit, or crochet, so I am hoping I'll still have the blessing to be able to play, even if it is just pickup with some one at the park.

2. I just got a new van, after trading in the previous one with 201,000 miles, 13 years, and plenty of corrosion outside and in the parts that make it run.  The new van with its excellent sound system is becoming a problem as I stay in the parking garage after I get to work, or return from lunch, to listen to the music from either HDD, Satellite, iPod, or the occasional CD.  Right now I am being transported to peaceful places of praise by Fernando Ortega, especially his "Sing to Jesus".  The lyrics really get me, and the music, with the cello and the female harmony at just the right pitch for me to sing as well, is great.  The lines that really grab my heart are in bold.

Sing To Jesus lyrics

Come and see
Look on this mystery
Lord of the universe
Nailed to a tree

Christ our God
Spilling His holy blood
Bowing in anguish
His sacred head

Sing to Jesus
Lord of our shame
Lord of our sinful hearts
He is our great Redeemer
Sing to Jesus
Honor His name
Sing of His faithfulness
Pouring His life out unto death

Come, you weary
And He will give you rest
Come you who mourn
Lay on His breast


He who died
Risen in paradise
Giver of mercy
Giver of life

Sing to Jesus
His is the throne
Now and forever
He is the king of heaven
Sing to Jesus
We are His own
Now and forever
Sing for the love our God has shown

Sing to Jesus
Lord of our shame
Lord of our sinful hearts
He is our great Redeemer
Sing to Jesus
Honor His name
Sing to Jesus
His is the throne
Now and forever
He is the king of heaven
Sing to Jesus
We are His own
Now and forever
Sing for the love our God has shown

3. I really wish I could express the content of some of my posts with fewer paragraphs and words, but that gift is not mine.  Instead it is the gift of Karinann at Daughter of the King, Colleen at Thoughts on Grace, and the friend who started me blogging.  I try to go back after the initial post and delete the ramble paragraphs that add little.  I don't have the patience to sit on my thoughts longer until the main theme and supporting points are clear.  Posting is usually a way for me to work through a theme and that makes for long posts.  Sorry!  Lord, give me greater reader awareness, and please help me to hear your inspiration to hit select and delete.  :)

4. I am the Rachel Ray of laundry.  This would make for a boring show on a non-existent Cleaning or Laundry network, but I have it down!  That is the sorting, washing, it being really clean, dry, and not shrunk part.  Not actually the folding part or the putting away part.  I delegate that part, but I really don't delegate the sorting, washing, or drying because I rock at it.

5. I am funnier than you probably think I am reading my posts.  At least to myself.  This is going to seem like I am bragging, but I am just saying that I can be sitting alone reading the book of Numbers, like I was tonight, to help my son with his homework, and be laughing.  It actually is a funny book.  The number of times God says for Moses to back away because he is going to destroy them all now, and the number of times that the people complain and want to return to oppression in Egypt and Moses throws himself on his face on the ground is quite high.  Not as high as the number of men of age 20 - 50 that can bear arms, but it is high.  Also, I can be sitting alone or driving alone and reflect on something, usually something someone said, perhaps years ago, and start cracking myself up.  Once while I was with my husband, then fiancee . . . . in a bar . . . drinking a beer . . .I said, "I feel sorry for the people that can't crack themselves up."  It didn't scare him away.  I guess it is the kind of crazy that is endearing, versus the kind that is creepy or scary.

6. I am addicted to Church.  My children and husband know this.  My youngest even said, "Mom you are addicted to Church, but that is a good addiction."  My younger daughter, when she would begin the night in our bed would rebut my telling her to quiet down and go to sleep with, "Why don't you quiet down and read your Jesus book."  I am usually reading a few Jesus books at a time!  Praise Jesus!  :)

7. This is bragging, but my husband and I really do, THANKS BE TO GOD have some really awesome kids.  I try to be nonchalant about it sometimes, but we are so over the top blessed with each one of these kids.  In his Providence God provides key moments, and loving exchanges between each of them and me, without my own planning or deliberate scheduling, and sometimes in spite of my planning or lack of it, so I am blessed with moments to soak in the splendor of each of them, and then just Praise and Thank God as much as my sinful, impatient, undisciplined, selfish little self is able. I know he loves me through them.  Even though things are more than a bit testy between my oldest daughter and me, she'll come around after the battle of wills passes and give me a tender hug and kiss.  She is perfect in that way.  Forget the stuff that makes you tense and frustrated with each other, and just go back to the love that you have for each other.


Now for the five bloggers I would like to pass this on to...

George at Convert Journal
Denise at Catholic by Grace
Holly at A Life-size Catholic Blog (Does anyone know why she doesn't post anymore?)
Dwija at House Unseen Life Unscripted
Randy at Fishers of Men

9 comments:

  1. Colleen,
    Glad you accepted my invitation yo join in this fun meme. It is a great way to get to know our fellow bloggers better and maybe even discover one or two new ones.
    I love what you said about being addicted to church and finding humor in the Scriptures. I can relate to both.
    As for saying much in a few words~ well thanks for the compliment, but that is the Holy Spirit's gift to me I guess. Truth be known, I sometimes wish I could write longer posts :)Pray to the Holy Spirit before you write and He will guide you.
    I enjoyed learning more about you. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for passing the award onto me! I did my post today :)

    http://www.houseunseen.com/2011/10/7-things-you-were-dying-to-know-about.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen,
    Thanks for sharing this...I loved reading all these things about you! #5 cracked me up- I do this too :) No doubt Randy thinks his wife is nuts! Good thing the stuff has to be about HIM when he does it ;)God bless! Praying for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post to come back to, Colleen. You are such a dear! I posted my disappearance story(excuse)this afternoon, and came across your delightful comment and award. Thank you so much ... I guess it's reason for another post soon. ;-D

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and me on number 6, dear! And 7, too. You should brag-it makes your kids feel good about themselves and encourages them to keep on being so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Colleen, you are very kind to honor me on your list. This concept is a wonderful idea.

    It has taken me a week, but my post passing the torch is here.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Collen, thank you O so much for the award! Deserving? debatable. Stylish? hmmmm. Late? definitly! haha. My mom always said "better late than never"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant Colleen, maybe I should proofread my comments, sorry for the mistake. I really do appreciate the award. The post have been very few lately, my busy season at work is approaching, so rest in my spare time is key.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Randy, no problem with the missed e. I do plenty of misspellings and typos in comments and posts.
    No problem on the delay either. Anne just took care of two award memes and 1 quick takes in a single post. That can inspire you for your catch-up! :) It's good you have the balance and get your rest when you are not working. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete