Translate

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Sabbath Moments - First Time Posting


Here are some of my sabbath moments this week:
  1. This is from last Friday when I went for a run while we were still on vacation in Michigan. I went at 7:30 in the a.m. on a bike trail before there were any bikers out there.  I was all alone listening to my iPod Nano playing lots of praise music:  Chris Tomlin, Phil Wickman, Leeland, MercyMe.  I kept thinking I should turn around but kept going when there was a good song on.  Finally I reached a bridge.  I was hoping it was over a creek or valley or something, but it was just over a road.  Still I turned off the music, pulled the earphones out of my ears and just had a good out loud talk with God in the solitude of that trail.
  2. I really enjoy just sitting out in my driveway in an old fashion lawn chair while my younger children ride their bikes or roller blade.  Reminds me of sitting on my grandma's porch glider in the warm summer evenings as a kid.
  3. Last night I went for a run and I have a new favorite site in the sky:  the sunset reflecting gold on a cumulus cloud in the eastern half of our overhead sky.  I didn't take my own picture but here is one I grabbed that shows the beauty of which I speak.  There was one on Thursday night and one on Friday night.  Both were bigger, more "cumulus" and had more gold on them than this picture shows.  Simply stunning!
  4. Last night we had the most lightning I have ever seen, and heard in a single storm.  It was such a spectacular display of the awesomeness of God's power in nature.  It went on for hours, seemingly stationary over our little neighborhood.  I was awake from 12:30 to past 2:00 a.m. watching, and listening.

The non-Sabbath moment occurred this morning when we found for the first time in 13 years that we have lived in this house that our basement flooded.  Our neighbors said it had been 20 years for them.  It is good we and the plumber who put in our new $1500 sump pump (inclusive of service call and after 15% discount) with marine battery backup are not Orthodox Jews or the water would still be in our basement.

I must have called 15 different plumbers from Angie's List, and one got out to our house quickly.  He had been working since 12 a.m. the night before  Two of my neighbors ran out and asked if he could please visit them after us.

We bought a new pro ShopVac and rented a Rug Doctor.  We may still end up tossing the area rugs down there.  The day has passed pretty well after the initial cursing and yelling leaving us almost a #5 sabbath moment: - satisfaction at getting 49 gallons of water out of our basement through our own efforts.  I did get a nap in to make up for the lost sleep while I was admiring the power of God in the storm last night.

Thank you Colleen for hosting at Thoughts on Grace.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reading and commenting Colleen. Also I think we have something else in common. I woke up last Monday with symptoms of RA. First in both wrists, then in my hands and feet. I tested positive on the ANA but negative for the RA RF Qualifier. I am hoping it is because of the viral illness I had that maybe my antibodies were in turbo or something. I just learned that Rheumatologists are very backed up. I imagine it is worse difficulty getting appointment in Florida. My appointment is on 8/8. My last pill was taken tonight. I hope the symptoms stay away!

    ReplyDelete